Sunday, 24 February 2013

inspired by fat mum slim, and moaning about poo!

Hello all, it's another beautiful, but cold day... but we've seen snowdrops, and daffs, and we're hoping Spring is on the way!

Have you heard about Fat Mum Slim's Photo a Day challenge

This is the sort of thing I love about the internet. Fat Mum Slim is our heroine, Chantelle. She's a real person who lives in Australia with her husband, her daughter, and her dog. With a background in advertising, and working ridiculously long hours she now makes a living writing a blog (and doing other writing and promotional stuff too). Her blog is personable, helpful, funny and uplifting. I mention that she's a real person, because she lets you see that. Which is damned brave if you ask me.

Anyway, Chantelle does a photo a day challenge, which I've been following for the last few months. It's been a good way to get me to stop taking so many photos of my children! I think my children are fantastic, but they are sick of me taking photos of them, and let's face it, a photo or two is OK, but lots is boring. The Fat Mum Slim Challenge involves taking a picture according to the theme of the day (lists are available on her website), and then posting it to Facebook/Instagram/Twitter, and (if you wish) sharing it. There are no prizes, but it's really interesting to see what everyone does with a theme, and it gets you taking pictures your children want to be involved in!  I started sharing my favourite pictures from the month in September 2013 here.  Here's one of my favourites:












On Monday 18th the theme of the day was 'Something you don't like', and I was stuck. There are so many things I don't like! I thought of maybe going for 'the necessity of war', but that seemed rather too pretentious. I thought of going for something like 'whining', but that is actually an important part of the personality of some people I like (and if it went they'd be like Midwich Cuckoos, or Stepford children), so maybe I do like it (and how to photograph it anyway?), and then it came to me – something about the state of pavements: – dropped litter would be up there, but the award would have to go to dog poo.   Really.  Why would you let your dog take a poo on the street and just leave it there?! Obviously it's somewhere that these people walk, so why? Do they leave the poo all over their houses too?  Oh, they probably do don't they?

Litter and dog poo bring out the mini-fascist in me. I recall finding out that in Jersey (or maybe Guernsey?) there's someone who's role is to walk the pavements, checking the overhang of trees. If the tree is found to overhang the pavement too low, the owner is required to cut it back. If they don't, the council do it, and charge them. Brilliant. But not enough for litter and dog poo! For that we should have spot-fines of at least £100 (I doubt it's worth doing for less), with an option to do community service instead (obviously this would involve picking up litter and poo). Now, I'm pretty sure that you could find out which dog a poo belonged to, if you were to put a forensics team on it, so we could bring back dog licenses, take DNA samples, and TRACK THEM DOWN!

Hmm, maybe I shouldn't run the world after all... What drives you mad?.. and what's your solution for it?

I'm sorry, I didn't take a picture of dog poo. I couldn't bring myself to do that one – I didn't like it!  But I'm at my in-laws home today so I should be able to take some pictures of clouds over Arran, when the sun's just right.  Do you do the photo-a-day challenge?  Has it inspired you too?