Friday, 22 March 2013

dreaming of spring

We're having a snow day today.  What's it like with you?  Kenny's been helping dig people out at the bottom of the road, the school is closed, and we can hardly see for the wind and snow.  It's a bit extreme!  It's also our anniversary, and the plan was that the kids would go to Kenny's folks for a sleepover (the little girls first!), while Kenny and I hit the shops, caught a show, and ate out!  I'm a bit grumpy, because I don't think it's going to happen, but as always, I'm impressed with Kenny's positivity.  He has a plan, it involves a 4x4.  Keep your fingers crossed for us.  

I know I'm probably remembering the past through rose tinted glasses, but I'm sure that when I was a girl there were proper seasons.  


Winter started around Christmas time, and there was very little chance of having snow at Christmas, Spring started mid-March, and involved sunshine and showers, and NO SNOW, and then there was summer, which started in June, and involved hot sunny days, and the occasional weird storm.  Autumn was rainy too, and cool, but didn't have any snow.


I'm not saying these were halcyon days of weather; I remember fog so thick you couldn't see your fingers.  However, in the last few years I think winter has been trying to take over the year somewhat.  It's been starting to snow in October, and keeping on going through to March, which is nearly half the year for goodness sake!  It's still snowing now, even though it's officially spring, and once again the daffodils have given up.  Don't get me wrong, I like a bit of snow - sledging, snow days, and snowmen are great, but I like Spring too, and Summer, and Autumn!

So weather gods, please pull your fingers out, and sort out this mess... more Spring, less Winter please!

Oh, and if you're thinking about another rubbish summer... don't.