Tuesday, 12 March 2013

feeding the kids

Can I ask you a question?  What did you have for tea today?  We had chicken fajitas, as the children have decided that my fail-safe everyone-will-eat-it meal (chilli), will not longer be eaten by them.  They are rejecting nearly all the meals they used to eat.  I don't really blame them.  No doubt they're bored of the same old same old.  I know I am.  But what to feed them?  Most of the time the boy won't eat anything red, the big girl won't eat anything messy, and the little girl won't eat anything that resembles a vegetable.  Ideally they would eat cheese sandwiches at every meal.  Or ham.  Sometimes ham.

The boy shows his appreciation for a
recent meal (veggie sausages, spuds
and beans)
The children tell me that they don't like chicken, so the fajitas weren't the greatest hit (although they did like putting things in tortillas).  By the way, chicken goujons (made by Daddy, mine are apparently not good) are their current favourite.  So, have you got any ideas for things they might like to eat?  We need something new in the mix.  What did you have for tea today?  If you have kids, what's their favourite?  What was your favourite when you were a kid?

I remember liking cheese sandwiches a lot when I was a kid, but also enjoying tinned pasta on toast, snoopy burgers (peanut butter and pineapple on a beef/soya/bean burger), pilchards, and my favourite at my Dad's house was chicken noodle soup (out of a packet).  When I was a teenager I loved pineapple curry, lots of Quorn ready meals (and Quorn hotdogs - delish), and pasta with mushroom sauce.  No doubt the kids will like more stuff as they get older, but what should I try them on?

My cousin-in-law, who's a baker, recommends 5 o'clock apron for inspiration.  Have you got any ideas?