Thursday, 21 March 2013

singing silly songs

I love singing, it helps bring out the joy in my heart, and I don't mind what I'm singing.  I'll sing to gods I don't believe in, sing about wicked witches, sing along with Moshi Monsters, it's just great to sing.  My girls love to sing too, which is lucky, because I've been taking them to singing groups since they were born.  Singing in the library, singing at toddler groups, singing at home, singing while we walk, singing at bedtime.  It's all good (even when there's singing wars!).

Every town has different songs which are sung so regularly they are thought to be universal, but they vary from town to town.  Even songs which are sung everywhere, like Wind the Bobbin Up have regional variations.  It can be a bit befuddling.  I thought I'd include a couple of our favourites here.  First of all, Twinkle Twinkle Chocolate Bar - a twinkle twinkle variation which was taught to both my son and my big girl when they started their separate nurseries.











This next one is a fabulous slow build tickling song.  We learnt it while we lived in rainy town, and I haven't personally heard it anywhere else.  You might have!  It's sung to the tune of 'If you're happy and you know it'.  And a 1,2,3...

Spider on the Floor
(use your hand to be a tickly spider)

There's a spider on the floor, on the floor
There's a spider on the floor, on the floor
There's a spider on the floor, do you think there's any more?
There's a spider on the floor, on the floor.

There's a spider on your knee, on your knee
There's a spider on your knee, on your knee
There's a spider on your knee, and it's very tickly
There's a spider on your knee, on your knee

There's a spider on your arm, on your arm
There's a spider on your arm, on your arm
There's a spider on your arm, but he won't do any harm
There's a spider on your arm, on your arm

There's a spider in your hair, in your hair
There's a spider in your hair, in your hair
There's a spider in your hair, what do you think he's doing there?
There's a spider in your hair, in your hair

There's a spider on the floor, on the floor
There's a spider on the floor, on the floor
There's a spider on the floor, do you think there's any more?
There's a spider on the floor, on the floor.

Are there any songs you know that you've not heard sung in other places?  What are your favourites?