Sunday, 7 April 2013

having Mummy and me days

You might remember a while ago, I was worrying about the big girl who was having trouble settling in at school (you'll find the post here).  Happily she's doing a lot better now.  She's making friends, doing well at school, and she herself says she's not wobbling any more.  Which is great.  


Channelling Spring
through our nails!
However, when I was worried about her, someone suggested I could have a special day, with just me and her, and give her lots of attention, a day of Oliver James style love bombing (read this article if you've no idea).  I figured it was worth a try.  

With three children, and a running husband, it was tricky to find a day when Mummy and me days could happen, so it took a while... and while we were waiting we talked a lot about what we would do with the days, which was good fun too.  We finally managed to arrange the days for this weekend.


Lunch at
famous ice-cream restaurant
The big girl went first.  She got to choose what we were doing, and she chose a day of pampering and shopping.  Not my usual thing, but such a lovely day, and I was so proud of her patience, and lovely manners.  It was great to be able to spend time with her, and her being in charge helped me learn better the things she likes.  Some of them surprised me.  I knew I liked her, but a day spent with her has convinced me that if I met her, and we were unrelated grown ups, I would want to be friends with her.  There's a lot I can learn from the big girl.  I'm looking forward to doing it again!


A walk along the front
We didn't manage to get as much time for the boy as I had with the big girl, (and I didn't take any pictures - sorry) but he didn't mind.  There was only one thing he wanted to do: go to the cinema.  We went to see The Croods last week, and this time he wanted to go to something too scary for the girls, but not too scary for him.  Even though it's the school holidays there isn't a great deal on offer at the moment, so we went to see Oz the Great and Powerful.  It was good to be able to chat in the car (without girls singing, and shouting), and we had a good laugh.  When we got there we loaded the boy down with snacks, and went in.  There weren't many in, and I could see why.  The film was not quite all that, although the boy enjoyed it well enough.  We especially liked the river fairies.  But the reason why the Wicked Witch of the West became wicked was really really lame imho.  

Anyway, it was great to get out together, and when we got back home (after Sociological research into the madness of white car drivers on the way home), we played Splatalot games on the computer.

I don't play with my kids enough, and I'm really glad I've taken these days to realise that.  The little girl is two, and is really hard work at the moment, so I do tend to hide in the laundry when I can sometimes, but I need to remember to enjoy the moment too - if I don't, I'll miss it!

Do you have kids?  What do you like doing together?  What would they choose to do for a day if they were in charge?