Saturday, 28 September 2013

blogging

What was I thinking on the day I started blogging?

Our old home in rainy town, on the day we
moved out.  Pic from my old blog here
I started at the beginning of the year, this year.  I'd read lots of things saying that if you want your writing to improve you need to write every day, and I figured the only way I could make sure I did that was to do it publicly.  

At the time I was stressed out about moving house, so I decided to do a daily blog, solely on the topic of moving.  It was called 'looks like we're moving', and you can find it here.  I didn't have a lot of readers, but I did write every day, and the people who read it got to hear all about the stresses and strains of our move, and the fun and games we had moving across Scotland in the snow.


Once we'd finished getting our stuff moved in, it seemed silly to stick with 'looks like we're moving', and we'd moved to live beside the seaside, so I started up a new blog.  This one.  In case you don't know, it's named 'oh we do love to be...' after the song, which actually goes 'Oh I do like to be beside the seaside'



I really like the name 'oh we do love to be...'  Because of the parenthesis I am forced to make my blog titles positive, which helps influence the content.  I can't just moan about dog poo (although I do).  'Oh we do...' started off as a blog about turning our new house into a home, and I still sometimes talk about things we're doing in the house, but our settling in here is more about us than the house, so I still talk about how we're getting on, settling in to seaside town (like this post on my littlest starting nursery).  But it is also a 'Mummy blog', so I do reviews of days out (like this one on Northumberland), and talk about parenting stuff.  My most popular post ever (so far) is on recovering from birth.

But to be honest, it's the random stuff that I enjoy writing the most.  The things inspired by what I've seen, heard, and read elsewhere.  Lots (even this) is inspired by Chantelle of Fat Mum Slim, who is just generally inspirational - it's what she does.  And there's plenty of feminist-type posts.  My second most read ever is on the reserve army of labour.  I really liked that one.


I don't think my blog is ever going to be a phenomenon, like Fat Mum Slim's, or Mrs Woog's, but I enjoy writing, and I enjoy discussing it with other people, and I still need to practice, so I intend to keep on doing it.


Do you have a blog?  What's it called?  What's it about?  And can we have a url please?  What started you writing?


If you don't have a blog, but you're thinking of setting one up it's ridiculously easy, and you can just do it to send virtual letters to your family if that's all you want.  I use Blogger, which is a Google thing.  The app is rubbish, but the website is great.  It's incredibly easy to use.  Why not give it a go?  Alternatively, I welcome guest bloggers here.  Let me know if you'd like a go.


Hmm, I've just noticed that my two favourite blogs have mottoes.  Fat Mum Slim's is 'living life inspired', and Mrs Woog's is 'making the most of the mundane'.  They're both good, and hint at what lies inside.  Any ideas for what my motto could be?



A picture of seaside town from the sea, taken by me, and first used in this blog post
Posts in this series

This is one of a series of posts inspired by Fat Mum Slim's list of 50 things to blog about.  If you'd like to take a look at the rest, you can find them here.