Sunday, 15 September 2013

writing to 16 year old me

Dear Cara

So much has changed for you in the last year or so. You've been through so much, and I know that it is all sometimes hard to deal with. Your friends are very important to you, and that is good, but you  know you shouldn't follow them blindly.

Thanks to my brother for this pic

I know you feel torn about leaving school. You want to do things your way, you want to get out of the school environment, and I don't blame you, but sixth form is different.  Remember that all the thick people are about to leave. It won't stay this hard. Give it a go. Push yourself, because you enjoy being smart, you enjoy thinking. Other people are staying. You won't be alone. Also there's a boy in the year below you you might want to meet.

You will get a letter soon, from your boyfriend, telling you he wants to marry you. You've been expecting it. You are both tempted and scared. The fact that you've been seeing someone else should tell you that you're not ready for this commitment. I know you'll do what you see fit, despite my advice, so I shan't tell you what to do, but I'd ask you to think hard about what you want your life to look like before you decide anything.

I wouldn't go back to feeling as you feel now for anything. I've often thought that if it could be induced it would be an excellent punishment. However, I promise that things will get better. Meanwhile do try to be kinder to yourself. You are not bad for enjoying your life and your body, indeed, it would not hurt you to go further. You only get one chance you know. Live it. Let's face it, the stories people tell about you have no relation to reality anyway.

Oh and I know you feel very unhappy about how you look, and you won't believe me, but you are actually stunning. I love your new look. Stay fierce and fabulous. 

With lots of love

Cara (aged 39)


If you could write a letter to your 16 year old self what would you say?... And would you have listened?

Posts in this series

This post is one of a series I'm doing inspired by Chantelle of Fat Mum Slim's suggestions of 50 things to blog about.  If you're interested, here's links to all the ones I've done so far.