Monday, 4 November 2013

writing

When I was at school I used to love writing.  I was good at it too.  I remember reading out my poem about Autumn leaves, at the Harvest assembly at primary school, because I had won the poetry competition.  I was lucky enough to win a competition to write a radio play for a kids radio show on Radio 4 called Cats Whiskers.  I got my play on the radio.  I listened to it, but neglected to tape it, I can't even remember what it was about.

But I loved lots of things.  I always want to know more!  When I was doing my A-levels I did English (Literature and Language), Maths, Further Maths, Statistics, Physics, Sociology, Psychology, and General Studies.  Sounds pretty smart huh?  Sadly, I had some pretty ropey teachers, and a serious liking for cider, so I dropped out of lots of A levels.  I should have stayed at school!  Still, I did alright.  The things that got kept were social sciences, maths and statistics.  And I followed that route, but the writing kept ticking over.  Of course, you do use writing in the social sciences.  I did a lot of writing.  But not fun writing.

This year I've pushed myself to write again, and I'm loving it.  I don't really know how to make a living out of it, but I hope it will come together somehow.

I am blogging (as you may have noticed), and that is working out better than I had expected.

However I am also working on a book.  I have characters, places, I've even got a map.  I have a calendar, and timelines, and I have got some words.  Only about 26,000 so far, but I'm working on it.

During November I'm taking part in National Novel Writing Month.  Pushing myself to write every day, in the hope of getting 50,000 words done.  I'm not sure if I'm going to make it, but I've got a couple of chapters done so far this month, so fingers crossed.  I will keep on blogging here too, because I need a break sometimes and my darling husband loves American football.

Since the littlest girl has started nursery this school year I've been able to go along to the local Writers Group.  It's good fun, and interesting.  Today we had a really great talk from a guy who teaches creative writing, about poetry.  We have occasional competitions too.  So far we've had two.  I was Highly Commended in the Children's fiction competition, and today I came 2nd in the poetry competition.

I'm chuffed to bits.

But now I want to go further, so, I have a question for writing types.  Any ideas as to what I can do with a children's story about a dragon, and a poem about Google+?  And any idea how I can make more out of this blog?  What do you reckon?

Other posts you might like: