Sunday, 29 December 2013

reviewing 2013

I've read a few posts like this in recent days, and it is hard to write them without them seeming like one of those awful round Robin letters wherein Farquhar's achievements in being put up a level in swimming class are pored over in detail. The year dissected, month by month, to discuss holidays and head lice and all the ridiculous inanities which are nowadays dealt with exceedingly well by Facebook.

Thank you Facebook.  This year I have received zero round Robins.  Did you get any?  Any gems?

So, how to avoid sounding like a round Robin?

My plan is to sum up the big changes for my family and I this year. I hope it works.  I'll throw in some photos as well, just to Robin it up a bit.

This year has been a big year for us. We moved to seaside town, which has been great because we've gained more grown ups. Kenny's parents are close by and help us out lots. It's been great for all of us to have them more involved in our lives. Seaside town is also a lovely place to live with lots to do nearby. I'm still getting the hang of it, and there's still lots we haven't done, but that just leaves more to look forward to.

Seaside town is, sadly, further away from my family, and we've not seen as much of them as I'd like this year.  Hopefully we'll rectify that next year.

The children had to change school and make new friends, and they've done it brilliantly.  They're doing great at school, go to lots of after school clubs, and they've made some lovely friends, but it was really hard work, and it's going to take a while before we totally feel like this is home.

The big girl gave the cat his Christmas present.
He was mildly interested.
After years of not thinking we would be staying anywhere for very long, we have finally moved somewhere we felt we could stay, so we were finally able to get a cat.  Katsuma is a huge ginger cushion of a cat, and we wouldn't be without him.

And of course for me 2013 has been about writing.  I started this blog, I joined a local writer's group, and I got a lot of work done on the book that's been an idea for a while.  I'm hoping to make some changes to the blog in the next year, and to do more writing generally.

And what about 2014?  I'm hoping for more of the same - more settling into Seaside Town, more time with friends, and with our family, a holiday we need to use our passports for, with my family, and doing stuff to improve this blog and get my writing off out into the world.  Wish me luck!  And any suggestions?

What about you?  What's 2013 been like for you?  And what are you hoping for in 2014?

Other posts you might like: