Friday, 24 January 2014

a... what?

When I was a kid I was quite clear about what I wanted to be when I grew up.  How about you?  What did you want to be?

I was definitely going to be a teacher, for a while...


Yes, Prime Minister, Televisual genius
I was certainly going to be a solicitor, for a bit...

I fancied being an astrologer, for a mad moment...

And I really liked the idea of being a Civil Servant.

I definitely did not want to be a care assistant.

But then I grew up, and became a care assistant to finance my way through University.  I discovered that being a care assistant was a pretty good job, although they could certainly get paid more.  

After University, I realised that no one wanted an inexperienced graduate, so I got an admin job in a big law firm.  Turned out a solicitor was definitely not something I wanted to be, so I left that job and ended up working in sociological research.  

I liked it.  It was interesting, and I was good at it.  I was good enough to get a job doing it for the Civil Service.  All my dreams had come true...

Except, I wasn't quite Sir Humphrey.  The minister wasn't at all interested in my research - wanting to know what people thought of the policies, rather than whether the policies were doing any good.  The long working hours culture was frankly boring, and clearly didn't fit with parenting, which had become the new thing I wanted to do when I grew up.

So I left, and became a full time Mummy.  I love being a full time Mummy, but I'm beginning to get a little bit of space in my life for something more.  So what would I like to be when I grow up now?

Well...
I could work here... or not.

If I had an ounce of religiosity in me, I would love to be a minister.  But I don't.

I would really really love to be a writer.  But I don't know if this is going to be my last ever dream.  We'll see.  I can say that for now, I dream of being a published writer, and I'm working on it... as hard as I can just now.

And I might love to be an MSP too.  I really might.  I'm thinking of joining a political party and everything.

What about you?  What would you love to do now?

This post is inspired by Fat Mum Slim's post on 50 things to blog about.  The full list of posts inspired by the list can be found here.  Here are some other posts you might like: