Monday, 10 February 2014

on a first date

Ulysses 31.  Well you would wouldn't you?
I didn't have my first date until I was 20. It wasn't that I was single until then, I wasn't. I was just never asked out on a date until then.

Actually, that's not true. Fraser asked me out at school, when I was 15. He said he liked plump girls with blonde hair. He gave me a massive confidence boost, for which I am eternally grateful. But I wasn't ready. I told him I was in love with Ulysses, so it wouldn't be right.

So I finally got asked out on a date when I was 20. The man stepping up to the plate was Lee.  I was ridiculously excited, and had no idea how to go about being on a date. I spent the whole day deciding what to wear and doing hair and makeup. We went to an Italian restaurant and ate pizza by candlelight. Lee had made an effort too. He wore a shirt, which really emphasised the fact that he worked out, and he had brushed his long blonde hair until it looked magnificent. I was quite in lust... Until we sat opposite each other in candlelight.  

Unfortunately the candlelight lit his face in such a way as to emphasise his apple cheeks, and that, alongside the nimbus of his well brushed hair just made me think of my collection of Wishnik trolls at home.  Which was completely unfair because Lee was gorgeous, but I was nervous, so there you go.  

I did keep seeing Lee for a while, but it wasn't meant to be.  I hear he's married now, and hope he's happy.  He was very lovely.

Actually come to think of it my last date was in an Italian Restaurant too (after going to see Gravity at the cinema).  That one was with my gorgeous husband, who didn't remind me of a Wishnik troll once.

What about you?  When was your first date?  And how did it go?

Other posts you might like: