Wednesday, 12 February 2014

writing a book

I am trying to write a book (very trying as a teacher of mine once said).  I've got a vague plot, I've got characters, I've got more than 50,000 words, but what I haven't got is on with it!

I took part in the National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) in November, and got a lot done, but not enough.  I was glad to get a lot done, but relieved to have a break from it at the end.  Writing a book it turns out is hard work, and it takes ages.  But do you know what?  I've just got to get on with it, so I am declaring my goal here:

I am going to finish the first draft of my book by the end of the summer holidays.

That might seem like a long time to you but I've got an awful lot of other stuff to do, and this is a very big book (probably - or it might be two books, it's not sure).

How am I going to achieve my goal?
  1. I am going to set aside 1 hour for writing it two days a week.  I know it's only two hours a week, but doing an hour a day as I did for NaNoWriMo meant I didn't get any social life, and my house was a tip.  I can't do that much again.  Not while my time is so sparse.  To make sure I do this I've just put it into my Google calendar in RED.  And then rescheduled the first hour.  Sigh.
  2. I am going to shame myself into action by sharing my story stats on here.  Not that you're likely to be interested, but it will help me.  A bit like getting stickers at Slimming World.
  3. I am going to avoid other distractions.  Like entering writing competitions (unless they're totally interesting, maybe, but I'll still have to do my time, and I promise not to look for them), and indeed, like blogging.  I love blogging, but the baby must come first.  Then I'll blog about the baby.
So let's start this thing...

The book challenge
Words at 12/2/14 - 52,653 (starting point for challenge)
Where I'm at in First Draft - part way through Chapter 9
What I did last - transcribed some interviews to help with dialogue.

This post is inspired by Fat Mum Slim's post on 50 things to blog about.  The full list of posts inspired by the list can be found here.  Here are some other posts you might like: