Sunday, 30 March 2014

mediocre

John Harle describes mediocrity as a great option. It might not be great, but it's not bad either.  What are you mediocre at?

This is the first of my 50 topics to blog about and I've been mulling it over for a while.  I find it really hard to say things I'm mediocre at.  And yet surely it's in the very nature of the British to be mediocre?  Who wants to admit they're bad at things? And who would want to be so big headed as to say they're good at something?  But then again, to say you're mediocre would mean saying you're not good.

I used to be a care assistant.  I was pretty mediocre at that.  I didn't have the natural kindly bluster which I saw in some rare souls, which helped people feel safe, and at least a little bit listened to.  I made mistakes.  But I wasn't cruel, I did recognise the humanity of the people I was working with.

Washing up - very dull, unless you've got a
helper to chat with.
But what am I mediocre at in my life now?  I'm tempted to say housework.  I do enough so I'm not embarrassed by the grime when people come around, but I'm not a natural picker-upper.  My husband grumbles from time to time about the state of the place.  He's not having a go, he just has higher standards than me, and less time at home.  Whenever he does have a grumble about it though, I feel like he's having a go at me, and I have to remind myself that housework is not solely my responsibility, and that our house is just fine.

Because do you know what?  I'd rather be mediocre at housework than good at it.  I don't want to be a person who hoovers their stairs daily, or who cleans out the oven after it's been used.  I would rather be writing, or playing, or enjoying the sunshine (hear that, weather?), than cleaning.

One of my friends said that no-one lies on their death-bed wishing they'd done more cleaning.  I've been in some houses where I suspect she's wrong, where a bit of cleaning might keep folk off their death-bed a little longer.  But I think she's right most of the time.  Dusting can wait.  Let's build a den.

This post is part of a series of 50 I'm doing. I'd love to see your take on one of the titles.  Find the full list here.

The book challenge
Words at 1/4/14 - 69,748..
17,095 words done since the challenge began, 9717 last month, and 1461 today!
Where I'm at in First Draft - Chapter 13.
What I did last - a scene with the heroine and hero, leaving a friend's house.