Tuesday, 13 May 2014

eating salad:updated

My perfect meal is verging on healthy.  I love fresh tasty ingredients, crunchy salad, and creamy cheese.  I also love salad dressing, and bread .
Out to lunch... lots of crisps, but NO veg
for the little girl, and mine were rotten

The little girl and I treated ourselves to a lunch out a few weeks ago.  It was a nice treat.  I got a brie and caramelised onion baguette, which was yummy.  It came with LOTS of crisps (I don't know why you tend to get crisps with sandwiches in Scotland, but you do), and a nasty desultory salad, most of the green bits of which had already gone soggy and black.  I did better than the little girl though.  She got NO salad (but plenty of crisps).

It does seem to be very difficult to find a good side salad in Scotland?  Many cafe's seem to view it as an optional plate dressing, rather than actual food.

So I was chuffed to bits this week when I took the little girl out for another treat, and went to the Bagel Basket in Largs.  The food was good, the staff were lovely, and the side salad was plentiful, crisp, and beautifully dressed.  Thank you Bagel Basket!

In the interests of recommending places to eat, where the side salads are good, do check out Hendersons of Edinburgh if you get a chance.  In Suffolk the Farmcafe Foodmarket in Marlesford is just fabulous.  I know Fencebay has a cafe, which is suspect is good, but does anyone know if it's any cop for kids?  

Other posts you might like:


The book challenge
Words at 29/5/14 - 81,500.  
42,000 words done since the challenge began, 11,500 so far this month.
Where I'm at in First Draft - Chapter 19.
What I did last - a walk through the city.