Friday, 4 July 2014

fiddling with loom bands

We've only got one band loom, between three children (and me, if I'm honest). It's not enough. You can use other things.  My daughter's best mate is adept at making chain bands on her fingers, my friend Lynn is a fan of two pencils for fishtail bands, and other people use forks! I'm considering bashing a couple of nails into a bit of wood.

I was going to get one at the toy shop the other day but it's £8! with 600 loom bands.  They are a lot cheaper at the pound shop, so I'm intending on get one there shortly.  

Loom banding is the thing of the moment, and I'm pretty chuffed about it.  The bands get everywhere, but they're cheap, and it's not hard to make bracelets that look alright.  They look really great when there are loads of them together. They get less grubby than friendship bracelets, and if they fall apart you can re-use the bits.  They're not just good for bracelets. You can make all sorts of things, like glasses chains, key-rings, and earrings.

It's not just young kids and their parents that are into it. Teens and young adults are doing it to.

My kids are great at starting loom bands.  And sometimes they finish them too. Our favourite style is a fishtail, which is really easy to do, here's a video from Ashley Steph to show you how to make it:




You can get on to some more complicated techniques too.  Lots of kids are really good at these (and YouTube is awash with videos), but a lot of the more complicated ones are completed by parents too.

Rob watched a video on YouTube and finished making his daughter's triple single chain bracelet, after both she, and her Mum failed.  We think he's a bit of a hero, but he's yet to make a starburst bracelet.


Rob, his daughter, and the bracelet. Picture from Mum, Jane.
If you want to make a triple chain bracelet on two forks there's a video tutorial here
The down side of loom bands is that the bands can get everywhere.  My friend Emma was today showing me the dividers her husband made to keep the bands in the right colour categories, so that finding them doesn't stress her out.  Bless her, she's just had a baby.  I know lots of people who've had to fish them out of their hoovers, and one friend had to take her washing machine to bits and remove bands which had got tangled in the inner workings (watch out for that, our washing machine caught fire when I was a kid due to an errant bobble).

There's also a concern about small children, and small animals eating the bands.  Vets are saying they've had to operate to remove them from cats (although our cat is more discerning, and would only eat them if they were dipped in gravy), and there's so much demand, that allegedly rubber production has had to increase, leading to pollution (more here).  I'm guessing this is from the production because rubber comes from trees doesn't it?

So, what have you been making with loom bands?

Other posts you might like:

The book challenge
Words at 8/7/14 - 96,500. 
57,000 words done since the challenge began! 12,000 last month.
Where I'm at in First Draft - Chapter 28.
What I did last - Planning chapter 29 (dress fitting).