Sunday, 20 July 2014

getting to know you

Getting to know you...

22 May 2010 at 23:31
I was just tidying up some things on Facebook, and I found a couple of notes.  Do you remember notes?

I thought I'd reblog them, tumblr style, and maybe update in the process.

This one was originally written in 2010. I've made updated notes in indigo.  I would love to know your answers to this. Please copy and paste, and then give a link to your blog post (or just include what your answers are) in the comments.  Thanks!

Here we go:

1. What time did you get up this morning? 
2010:  6am as every day - woken up by two little children arguing about who gets to have the first cuddle (The boy got in there first this morning)
2014:  Things have got better. The boy is now trained and doesn't get up until 6.30am. Sometimes he sneaks downstairs and plays on the X box and I get to sleep in until 7am! This morning though it was the little girl's birthday, so I was up at 6.30am, and happy to be so.

2. How do you like your steak? 
2010:  Nut cutlet or halloumi for me please :-)
2014:  I haven't had a nut cutlet in ages, and I am no longer vegetarian, but steak is still not on my menu (I really don't like it).

3. What was the last film you saw at the cinema? 
2010:  What was it called? The Road I think - with Aragorn in it.
2014:  Oh! That was a great night, with lovely friends. Now I think the last film I saw was The Lego Movie. Altogether now: 'Everything is awesome!'

4. What is your favorite TV show? 
2010:  True Blood.
2014:  SPOILER ALERT FOR SOOKIE STACKHOUSE BOOKS
I didn't get to watch True Blood for a while, although I still love the series. I really like the way they used the characters Charlaine crafted and then went completely off book. I am very happy that Lafayette is still alive especially, and that Eric is still around.
TV shows I love now are Game of Thrones, The Good Wife, and Scandal (new series starting soon - yay!)

5. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be? 
2010:  Somewhere with all of my family and friends nearby, and nice weather - Suffolk with family! 
2014:  I'm kind of sticking with that, but actually, if we could move Suffolk to Scotland (and keep the weather, but drop the accent), that would be better. I prefer the Scottish education system and commitment to the NHS. Although I do think we're better together.

6. What did you have for breakfast? 
2010:  Mini croissants with butter, marmalade, chocolate spread and jam. OJ, and decaf coffee. Yummy
2014:  Honestly, we don't do this every day, but this morning's breakfast was croissants with marmalade, pain au chocolat, OJ, and coffee

7. What is your favourite cuisine? 
2010 & 2014:  Definitely Italian.

9. Favourite Place to Eat? 
2010:  Somewhere with yummy food and someone else cooking and washing up!
2014:  Ditto. See this blog post.

10. Favourite dressing? 
2010:  blue cheese dressing
2014:  this feels like a dirty secret but I love cream of mushroom tinned soup mixed with mature cheddar as a sauce, and cold it is an awesome salad dressing.  Honest.


11.What kind of vehicle do you drive? 
2010:  Citroen C8
2014:  We needed a new car, but I miss the C8, especially the sliding doors which didn't bump into other cars. Now we have a Ford Galaxy.


12. What are your favourite clothes? 
2010 & 2014: Black ones. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

13. Where would you visit if you had the chance? 
2010:  Turkey, Scandinavia, Canada
2014: I fancy a big long holiday in the US, with a Winnebago (the motor home, not the people).  Anyone fancy giving me one?  I'll write about it, I promise.

14. Cup 1/2 empty or 1/2 full 
2010:  Half empty
2014: Who has spilled the juice?

15. Where would you want to retire? 
2010:  Don't know... somewhere where I have plenty of friends. I'm hoping we'll settle somewhere soon.
2014: Somewhere where we can see the people we love.  But mostly I'm looking forward to gardening and cruises.  Bring it on... in about 25 years.

16. Favourite time of day? 
2010: I like morning snack time
2014: We've grown out of morning snacks, but that is still a good time of day. Everyone has finished faffing and we can get something good done.  I always like getting out of the house. Unless it's cold.


17. Where were you born? 
Yorkshire.  God's own County

18. What is your favourite sport to watch? 
Can't think of anything more tedious than watching sport!

The cat: Practicing
...skipped some Facebook specific questions...

22. Bird watcher? 
2010:  We have so many birds around here that I don't know... I keep thinking I should get a book about them. 
2014:  Back in 2010 we lived in an area with well established gardens and lots of happy birds.  Now we live in a brand spanking new house, and I am totally delighted when we manage to entice anything into the gardens.  We've been working on the garden, and we're getting more bugs, and more birds.  And mice.  Sorry mice.  Our cat will kill you, and crunch up your skulls.

23. Morning or Night Person: 
Morning

24. Do you have any pets? 
2010:  2 fish 
2014:  A great big ginger cat.  The fish died.

25. Any new and exciting news you'd like to share? 
2010:  I've ordered a new outfit for Ash's wedding :-) 
2014:  It's a shame that Ash's wedding didn't work out.  I wish her all the best.  Exciting news today is that my youngest girl, the girl I was pregnant with last time I did this questionnaire, is 4 today, and she's still life changing!


26. What did you want to be when you were little? 
Astrologist/solicitor/teacher. 

27. What is your best childhood memory? 
Dancing with my brother in the kitchen to Human League . 

28. Are you a cat or dog person? 
Cats, I don't like dogs.

29. Are you married? 
Yes, to Kenny

30. Always wear your seat belt? 
Always. Why wouldn't you?

31. Been in a car accident? 
Yes

32. Any pet peeves? 
2010:  Spitting. Not communicating. Ignoring people. Parking on the pavement. Religious leaders who encourage their members to prey on the weak and scared. Swearing in front of children. Violence. Crap research. nonsense news.
2014:  All of the above, and also, not listening to people. Blaming people for the mistakes you make because you didn't listen to them.

33. Favorite pizza topping? 
2010:  Vegetarian
2014:  Lucky's pizza: Celery and blue cheese.  I miss it.

The garden, complete with Marigolds
34. Favorite Flower ? 
2010:  Bleeding hearts
2014:  We got given a load of Marigolds for the garden and they're looking great.


35. Favorite ice cream? 
2010:  Mint chocolate 
2014:  Not sure, but it's from Nardini's.  Today I had butter pecan and Scottish tablet.


36. Favorite fast food restaurant? 
2010:  We've only got the Trawlers Catch, and they're not very fast! 
2014:  I'm not a fan of the local fish and chip shops, so I'll go for McDonalds.  Their veggie wraps are tolerable.

37. How many times did you fail your driver's test? 
Once - drove into the fence at the testing centre!

38. From whom did you get your last email? 
2010:  Becky, about b.a.b.i.e.s stuff.
2014:  I miss b.a.b.i.e.s, although I wouldn't want to start something similar up here. The BfN do a great job. My last email was from Kenny, we're discussing options for a new 'phone as ours is dying.

39. Which store would you choose to max out your credit card? 
2010:  Just spent lots at Dorothy Perkins
2014:  I was thinner then.  I would never max out a credit card.  The very thought is stressful, but the last place I bought a few things for me from was Yours.

40. Do anything spontaneous recently? 
2010:  Went for a walk in the woods at Dunwich/Westleton on Thursday. 
2014:  Took the girls for an extra play in the barn at Kelburn today, making us late for tea!


41. Like your job? 
Yes, but I'd like a day off now please!

42. Broccoli or Gai-lain? 
I’ll stick to broccoli. 

43. What was your favourite vacation? 
2010:  Kirkcudbright, or Longtown - can't decide.
2014:  Northumberland.  Can't wait to go back.

44. Last person you went out to dinner with? 
2010:  Had lunch out with Kenny, and the two children at Sizewell cafe yesterday.
2014:  To celebrate the third child's fourth birthday today we went out for tea at Nardini's.  With Kenny, the three children, and Kenny's parents.

45. What are you listening to right now? 
2010:  Farscape is on TV - someone wants to eat Creichton.
2014:  Nothing.  It's midnight, and I'm keeping the volume down.  This is the last thing I listened to though.

46. What is your favorite color? 
Black.

47. How many tattoos do you have? 
None. 

...

49. What time did you finish this quiz? 

2010:  23.29 - way past bedtime.
2014:  00:04 - way past bedtime

50. Do you believe in God? 
2010:  No. Not even slightly... apart from maybe some demigods, but nothing omnipotent.
2014:  No, but I love a good myth.  Apart from the patriarchal monotheistic ones.  Patriarchy is sooooo over ;-)


Feel like wasting your precious time answering these questions?  Please do.  I would love to know more about you!

The book challenge
Words at 18/7/14 - 103,500. I've broken the 100,000 barrier!
64,000 words done since the challenge began! 10,000 so far this month.
Where I'm at in First Draft - Chapter 36.
What I did last - Plotting. My favourite comes to an uncomfortable conclusion. The heroine will not be happy.