Friday, 8 August 2014

writing a book: the first draft done.

Way back in February, I picked up the gauntlet that Fat Mum Slim had laid down, and set myself a challenge, tracking my progress on the blog.  You might have noticed it... a little set of stats at the bottom of each blog post, letting you know how I was getting on.

The goal I set for myself?
I am going to finish the first draft of my book by the end of the summer holidays.
I set out the details of how I was going to do it in this post

And after that, every time I wrote a bit of the book, I updated my stats on a scintilating spreadsheet, and gave some of the highlights in my blog posts.

When we got to the start of the summer, I didn't think I was going to be able to do it. Truth be told, I cut out a lot of what I was writing, paring it down to bits of dialogue I needed to write, and the bare bones of what happens in each chapter... I'm not very good at bare bones, so most of these 'very draft' chapters are about 900 words long.

Luckily for me though, it's been a summer of sport, and I've had very little televisual distraction from my writing.  Add to that that I got quite caught up in the story.  I hope other people will too!  Not now though. Now the story is rubbish. It's full of holes, repetitive and non-sensical. I've got a long way to go before I'm willing to let anyone proof read anything.  I'm not generally a Hemmingway fan, but I'm hoping that he was right about first drafts.

So, I'm going to mess about backing the whole thing up so I feel I can leave it safely for a little while, and then I'm not going to touch it for six weeks.

After that I'll start draft two.

At the moment, I'm just amazed that my story has a beginning, a middle, and an end.  It has characters, it has twists, and it has too much sex.

I'll sort that out later.

Thanks for the challenge, Fat Mum Slim. I rose to it.

Here is the final installment of the book challenge stats:

The book challenge
  • Words at 8/8/14 - 117,000. It's too baggy and I've not finished writing it.  I always have to cut words out!
  • 77,500 words done during the challenge, at around 10-15,000 words a month. Before that I had written in fits and starts over two years, and got 20,000 words, with an extra 25,000 in NaNoWriMo.
  • I have finished the First Draft. There are 49 chapters.
  • What I did last - I can't very well tell you the end of the story now can I?
Other posts you might like:
What have you been succeeding in lately?