Wednesday, 1 October 2014

thinking of songs that mean a lot to me

A friend has tagged me to put up a list of ten songs that mean a lot to me. 

It's a surprisingly personal journey, and I'm not quite sure of how much to share, but let's share the songs at least, eh? With a wee cryptic note sometimes. In no particular order:

1. Earth, Sun, Moon by Love and Rockets because of the afternoon I first heard it, which was an afternoon full of possibilities.


2. Beyond Love by The The, because someone sent it me once, and it made me change my mind.


3. Too Much Too Young by The Specials, because someone sent it to me once, and it didn't make me change my mind, although it did make me think.


4. My Old Man by Joni Mitchell (really anything off the Blue album) - because of drinking wine and being all by myself. I love to sing along with all the songs on this album, and I'm aware I do it badly, often with tears rolling down my cheeks. I love the way Joni crams words into her songs.


5. The Things that Dreams are Made of by Human League - because of dancing with my brother in the kitchen.


6. Hotel California by the Eagles, because of someone singing it to me at the Hyde Park bus stop.


7. I love Rock n Roll by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts (not Britney, although I do love Britney), because of the best proposal I ever had, and because it's just plain awesome.



8. I Don't Want to Miss a Thing by Aerosmith, because it's the best parental love song ever, and it always makes me cry, although it is a little too creepy to sing to one's children! Mind you, we could do this in choir, right? Also Steve Tyler.



9. Ivy Ivy Ivy by Primal Scream, because I have a feeling it is always going to be true, and because it kept me alive during one of the most difficult times in my life. I cannot get the video to appear below for some reason, but you can see Bobbie Gillespie looking vacant while singing it here.

10. Celebrate by Fields of the Nephilim, because it feels like it is within me. All the other songs do somehow relate to other people, and I thought I needed one that was all about me. This is just perfect. I love the Fields, and this is my favourite (probably, although this is my favourite video - the blue angel bit), if you're going to listen though, I wouldn't bother watching, as it's mainly just a hat on stage.


So, what about you? Can you name ten songs that mean a lot to you? Please share.

Other posts you might like: