Wednesday, 5 November 2014

blogging for a reason (and the reason is...)

I came across this blog post the other day on the beautifully crafted blog 'To Become Mum'. You'll find it here.

Kelly (the blogger) is talking about the reasons why she blogs. She talks about wanting to save her memories, and of using her blog to express herself, as well as getting support from the blogging community.

Kelly and I don't have the same experience of blogging.

I'm not doing this to save my memories. I am a Mummy, and a blogger, and I have no objection to being called a Mummy blogger, but mainly I'm just a person who loves to write.

And write.

And write.

Sometimes I over-share, but I'm not going to write like no-one is reading, because someone is reading, and I don't see the point in retching up my innermost feelings either for people's entertainment or because I would just hurt people. People I don't want to hurt.

When I have been more open, I have had lots of kind thoughts. Lots of helpful suggestions. I appreciate those, I really do. But mostly I just feel horrified at what I have told everyone. Mostly I wish people would just ignore me and move on. Is that terribly British of me? 

I don't know.

So, why do I blog?

  • To keep pouring out the ideas that pop into my head. Some of them might even be useful.
  • To be useful, interesting. Something like that. I want people to want to read. 
  • To practice writing, and try new things.
  • Because writing helps me feel like me.
  • And lastly, stupidly, because I feel guilty if I don't.
What about you? If you blog, why do you do it? And if not, then why do you do the thing that you do?