Thursday, 6 November 2014

dramatic

We are missing the Largs fireworks again this year, sadly, but for a good reason.

The kids are in a show, being staged by the Largs Youth Theatre. They are munchkins in the Wizard of Oz.

They are also lots of other things, and they, along with all the other kids, and adults involved, have been working really hard getting ready.

It starts tonight.

I'm glad the kids are having fun being in the show. It's good to work as a team, and to accomplish something together. It is also good when it comes to an end, and for the boy, this is the last thing he's intending to do in drama for now. He's fed up of being outnumbered by girls, and wants to take up fencing instead. I suspect he'll be wanting to be outnumbered by girls again in a few years.

I went to drama classes when I was a child. I loved being in shows, especially those at Ilkley Playhouse where you had to audition. My favourite was Cider with Rosie, in which I played Laurie Lee's little sister. It was brilliant to get to hang out with the older kids, and I developed a massive crush on the teenage Laurie Lee (the one who drinks cider with the aforementioned Rosie), played by one of the few boys in my drama class: John Ogden.

I never realised what a Yorkshire name that was until now!

I went to drama classes with my best friend Polly, and we were the youngest in our class. Being in shows was great, but my favourite things were the games we played. There was one where we'd use the set still on the stage from a play which had finished it's run. The teacher would call out when each of four people should come on stage, and you'd need to improvise and come up with a story. A lot of them were rubbish, some were sheer comedy genius, and it was always a thrill to be waiting in the dark, about to step into the light and slot in to a story you were making up together. The one that really sticks in the memory was coming out of a door at the top of some stairs and hearing a girl already on the stage say "Oh no! My lesbian lover! Darling! You need a towel, let me get you one." I was struck dumb, but only for a moment.

We played another game wherein there would be four actors voiced by four people off stage, we four on (I only remember being on) would have to do as directed. Once I was directed to kiss Matthew Secret, which was incredibly embarrassing (especially when he ducked out of the way).

Clearly, my memories of drama group are from an older age than my children currently are, but even if they stop now, I'm sure it is beneficial. It's so important to be able to stand up in front of people and make yourself heard, and doing drama gives you the tools to be able to do that. It doesn't mean that it's not embarrassing, but it does mean you know you can do it.

What clubs did you do as a kid? And what did you get out of them?