Friday, 7 November 2014

risking a taxi

I saw a classic scary taxi maneuver earlier today. Unsure which house he was going to, he mounted the pavement on the wrong side of the road and drove along until he found the right one!

Why is it that taxis, and some other vehicles, act like they have a pass - that the rules of polite driving do not apply to them?

Taxi drivers are not the worst culprits, don't get me started on those people who think that the yellow zig zags outside the school don't apply to them.

I hardly go in taxis these days, as evidenced by the happy, excited faces of my children on the day in the summer holidays when they begged me to get a taxi home after a long walk... I looked at the youngest's tired eyes, and thought of the whining building up, and I said 'yes'. They didn't believe me until the taxi started moving.

But once upon a time I had a busy social life, and didn't have a car, and I mainly travelled by bus, but would often make my way home at the end of the night in a taxi.

I knew people who had much scarier experiences than me, and I am thankful I never went through that. 
NEVER GET IN A TAXI UNLESS YOU ARE SURE IT IS A LEGIT TAXI, EVEN THEN, IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE TAXI DRIVER, DON'T GET IN.
One night in Leeds I got in a taxi with Kenny to get home to our manky flat in Meanwood. 

We wished we'd walked.

The taxi driver was driving really erratically, while constantly talking. We asked him the usual questions about how long his shift was, and were told he had been on duty for TWO DAYS, and that we shouldn't worry because he'd taken some 'medicine' that let him stay up long enough to do this.

Oh my goodness.

The worst thing was that we'd told him where we were going when we got in, and he had retained that bit of information.

We got home, thank heavens, but we walked a lot more after that.

Any good tales to tell of your taxi experiences?