Monday, 2 March 2015

accentuating the positive: week nine of the gratitude challenge

This week (week 9) on the gratitude challenge I've got the title, 'How did you do and feel?' to work with. To be honest I'm not sure what this means, but I'm going to take it at face value.
So, how are you doing?
I am cold and weary, and well and truly fed up of miserable snowy weather which doesn't amount to anything.


I'm achey and I'm coming out in spots, my hair needs a wash and I can't be bothered, plus I suspect there's a cold sore on the way.Do I sound grateful to you? No? Sometimes gratitude seems fatuous. However, I am aware that feeling like this, and the withdrawal which accompanies it, can lead me to spiral downwards, so I've been working on accentuating the positive. Just a little bit at a time. And some of it seems silly. But them's the breaks.

As of the 1st March I've started doing #100happydays again. This is where you take a photo of a happy moment or something you're happy about for 100 days, in a row. You can keep them to yourself, but I'm a fan of sharing. Why don't you join me?: here's what I've got so far...


1st March. Shopping with the big girl. So love shopping with her. She's the first person I've ever enjoyed shopping with, bar my friend Polly when I was 13. Plus she's got great taste in boots (as have all my kids).
2nd March. It has taken me FOREVER, but I have finally finished this cushion, and today my little girl helped me to finish up all the wee details and then gave it the snuggle test. I'm very happy to say that it passed.

I know that focusing on the positives helps me to accentuate them. Taking pictures makes me remember the good things, but I need more than that or I easily slip into a spiral into sadness.

I like what the kids do at school when they're peer assessing their work. They give two stars and a wish, ie, they say two things that they liked, and one thing which they think could have been better, plus they say how it could have been better (for them). It's such a brilliant way to help each other do better, and we've introduced it at tea time to talk about our days.

I used to keep diaries, and am really annoyed that I burnt them (to protect the guilty) a while ago, because I would have loved to write something from them now. However, I no longer have the time or the inclination to write in a journal before bed, so I've switched instead to writing a daily star. Something good that has happened in the day which I'm chuffed about. I write them in Google Keep (which I've switched to because it's more colourful than Evernote), things like:
Really pleased to have lost 1 1/2 stone and got my certificate today.Feel like I'm back on track and finally feel like I'm seeing a difference. 28/2
and:
I saw a heron fly past me today. It was awesome. 25/2
So I guess I know I need to work at it, and I am, and I'm proud of accentuating the positive, but I could still go for more leaves and more sunshine. 

I guess I'll hang on in there.

Hope you're doing well.