Saturday, 7 March 2015

crushing on celebrities

Britmums asked about people's celebrity crushes the other day. Do you have one? I don't, I have several, and I'm going to share them because the Rioja is open.

I would like to point out a) that these are not in any kind of order, and b) that these people are not on some sort of 'allowed' list. Because actually meeting them would dissolve me into teen-style mortification. And also, they probably wouldn't notice me.

So here goes:

The first person to pop into my head is the Welsh actor Aneurin Barnard, because he's beautiful, he can sing, he's got a voice I could listen to forever, and I thought he was amazing as Richard III. So amazing in fact that I now get a little upset if people talk about Richard III in a negative way.

I haven't disliked Aneurin in anything yet, but I'm working on it. My husband didn't like Hunkydory, because it was a musical. Them's the breaks.

I did love Aneurin playing Richard III in The White Queen, but I also thought he was amazing in the BBC's recent fabulous version of Under Milk Wood, which is now available on DVD.

Aneurin is way too young for me (27), but my other actor crush is too old. I first fancied him in Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves (long, long ago), but in the Harry Potter films he excelled himself.

I'm not a big fan of Harry Potter (sorry), but send me to Slitherin anyday because I have a massive crush on Severus Snape (Alan Rickman aged 69!). I'm still sure he's just misunderstood. 

Next up is Adam Ant (60). My first celebrity crush, and still in my heart. Adam has been through tough times but he's still perfectly himself. 

I love Adam's attitude, and I love his music. I used to have everything he'd released, until some burglars (in Leeds, ages ago) made off with it. Now I make do with videos on YouTube.

Actually, come to think of it, Adam has had a huge impact on me. Some of my favourite characters have his wild dark hair, and I am also using his name for one of the characters in the book I'm writing. I did once go out with a man purely because he looked a bit like Adam Ant. Nice bloke too. Hope he's doing well.

I hate leaving women off the list, but truth be told the only celebrity-ish crushes I've had on women are on characters. I love the character of Izzy (from the Hernandez brothers Love and Rockets comics) because she's so broken and bitter, and magical, and sometimes strong, plus she's got great style; but most of all at the moment, I love the character of Alicia Florrick (Julianna Margulies).  Here's a clip of her in early awesome mode:


I love this clip because it also stars Oberyn Martell (Pedro Pascal) and Rowan Pope (Olivia's Dad, played by Joe Morton) as the lawyers.

Alicia is strong, tough, fun loving, sensitive, and a fan of wine. She is also likely to be president one day, and that will shut down B613 for good. I would love to be like Alicia, but if I can't have that, I'd love to drink with her, and watch rubbish on TV. I promise, I will not touch Mr Big (with a barge pole).

Do any of my past crushes make me embarrassed? The whole thing makes me embarrassed. That actors can pretend to be other people, and succeed in making me swoon is embarrasing, but my old crushes? They're just flames that flicker low. Like: Carl McCoy, Johnny Depp, Siobhan Fahey, Phil Oakey. It's all good.

What about you? What are (and were) your celebrity crushes?