Friday, 20 March 2015

good

One of my favourite games to play on the computer is The Sims. I've got Sims 4 installed on my PC, although I think I prefer Sims 3 so far, that might just be a matter of time though.


Personality traits, Sims 2 style.
Picture taken from here for
illustrative purposes.
Anyway, in Sims 3 and 4, you choose your sims character traits (if you create your sims) individually. It was not always thus. In Sims 2 you used a Likert scale (that's a multi-point scale from one extreme to the other,in case I'm speaking gibberish) to make your character more or less outgoing, tidy, nice, etc.

I've always be rather taken with this way of seeing personality traits, although I do like the way that in Sims 3 and 4 you have traits of Good and Evil too.

Why am I rabbiting on about Sims character traits? Because this week for the gratitude challenge I'm talking about my favourite personality trait. My favourite trait is not one that I myself have in buckets. I'm working on it, but it doesn't come naturally. I really admire people to whom it comes naturally (or who manage to give the impression it does).

I'm talking about goodness. Not saccharine sweet obedience, not being morally upstanding, but having the generosity of spirit that makes a person genuinely good.

Good people don't bitch, and they don't whine. They are considerate, and thoughtful, and they quietly point out the good in other people. 

I am lucky enough to have some of these people in my life. It is really lucky, because you know you can trust these people, and that they will help you out when you need it. Of course, it doesn't mean they're wee minions, doing others bidding all the time. They have their own wants and needs, but because of all the good stuff they give out, they get it back in spades.
I am the angel Gabriel, whoosh. Photo by my Dad.

And if you're like me, and goodness doesn't come naturally, well, we can fake it until we make it.