Saturday, 7 March 2015

happy with myself: five things I like about me

This week (week 10) on the gratitude challenge I'm tasked with listing five things I like about me.

I'm going to do it. Honest I am, but I feel really embarrassed. I mean, it's not something we do is it? We might hope someone notices, but we're not going to go up to them and say 'ahem, check out these eyelashes', are we?

So, I'll tell you five things I like about me, and in return I'd like to know some of the things you like about you. You don't even have to do five. You're welcome.


Check out these cheekbones ;-)
1. I've got good cheekbones

It was the first thing I thought of. I had to go back and check the wording, and realised then that it doesn't have to be physical, which is a relief, but I do like my cheekbones. If I am thinner my chin gets a bit witchy, and if I am fatter my chin gets some friends, but my cheekbones are reliably good looking.

Unfortunately, the insides of my cheekbones are a bit rubbish. I get sinusitis far too much, and have twice had weird incredible pain in my cheekbones, which lasted for months (it's gone now, and I'm hoping it never comes back). Still.

2. I'm tall

I'm not massively tall, or even tall for a human, but I'm tall for a lass and that will do me. I have to buy extra long trousers, and have size 8 feet, which are difficult to find shoes for, but I also have an instant air of authority (I do, honest). This allows me to take the lead with nary any opposition most of the time that I want to which is great.

It also means that in crowds I sometimes trip over short people (sorry Wendy), and on the occasion when I became desperately homesick on my second day in a mindnumbingly tedious job, I felt like a complete idiot sobbing my heart out in a small office with my tiny supervisor (I felt better that I never went back there again though).

3. I'm smart

I don't think I'm as smart as I used to be, although I'm sure I could be with a little practice. But I'm smart enough to have got a Masters, and to feel that anything is understandable to some extent. The best thing about this though is passing our smart genes on to our kids who are smart too, and demonstrate this every day. It makes them great to have conversations with, and I'm really proud to see them question what they're told (apart from when the youngest questions being told to PUT HER SHOES ON).

4. I'm good at translating gobbledygook.

My first research associated job was in a midwifery research centre. My main work was on a project about infant feeding, but I did other stuff too. It was really interesting. One of the things I had to do was read medical research papers and summarise them to tell people about them. It was great practice for my job doing research for the Scottish Government, because there are acres of gibberish spoken by politicians and civil servants.

I summarised research for civil servants, and translated political requirements into useful research. It was great. More recently I've written summaries of legal processes for an engineering firm, and that was fun too. 

I am guilty of using overly flowery language at times, but I can't stand people hiding their meaning behind acronyms and jargon, and I hate the way that workplace culture evolves so that doing just that is a way of demonstrating that you belong, and that you're down with the workplace culture. I love being able to crack the code.

5. I'm an opinionated so-and-so.

I can be ascerbic at times, and have been called an Eeyore, and worse (although I can't stand Winnie the Pooh, so Eeyore is bad enough). I have little rants many times a day. Usually in my head, thankfully. I am also crystal clear sure about my thoughts on many topics, including breastfeeding, high heels, Keynesian economics, immigration, and tracksuits worn outside sporting activity. Most of these opinions are informed by a lot of research (the tracksuit one not so much). When I don't have a strong opinion, I want to know lots about it, so I can form one.

It might not be very 'nice', but it makes me happy.

I wasn't sure, for example, about the Scottish independence referendum, so I did an Edinburgh University online course on it, read all the stuff I could, but got sick to death of all the politicians bad mouthing each other and making stuff up. I was eventually convinced by the attitude of the people I met towards me, as an English person living in Scotland. I have been made to feel less welcome before, but that was on the Isle of Man, and they're a funny lot.


So, there's my five. What do you like about you?