Monday, 20 April 2015

grateful for the little things

We've been spending much more time than I'd like over my son's health worries in the last few days, happily now everything is settling down, but I thought I'd share this, that I wrote after drinking on Friday, after not enough sleep, two Manchester hospitals, and a long drive home. I was going to scrap it, and do something different about things I like, like raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens (although I'm not fussed about those personally), but I thought I'd use it after all, because the other idea felt trite in the face of it. Enjoy.

Today was a day. A day and a half.

Today was a day when I was glad that my mother in law likes to cook a big family meal on a Friday.

Today was a day when all those annoying little fears that you can keep a lid on most of the time come to the surface. Come to the surface and party.

Today I drank a bottle of wine (pretending it was Dornish Red) while watching Game of Thrones and The Good Wife, I stroked my cat who had missed me, and I cried because I'm scared that people I love will die, which is ridiculous, because people I love will die and there's nothing I can do about it.
"There is only one god, and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'" - Syrio Forel
Anyway, when I went up to bed today I found that my husband had charged my toothbrush for me, and I hadn't told him the light was flashing, he'd just done it just in case.

It's the simple things like that that show how lucky I am, and me gushing about them is why I shouldn't drink a bottle of wine.