Wednesday, 29 April 2015

taking stuff for granted

This week on the gratitude challenge I've got stuck. I'm supposed to be talking about something I take for granted, but the whole point of something I take for granted is that I'm not suitably grateful for it. To be grateful for it involves it becoming precarious, and I do not want that to happen. I know I don't want it to happen, because when it does it is absolutely devastating.

All those of us who are lucky enough to live settled lives have stuff we take for granted:

  • our homes
  • our work
  • our health
  • our family relationships
All this stuff can come crashing down around our ears, and I am not grateful that it doesn't, or hasn't yet. That sort of gratefulness you can keep for a nasty judgemental god whom you have to thank for everything which they gave on a whim.

I fear that stuff crashing down, and I feel for those who suffer living in interesting times. I hope that we can all get back to taking stuff for granted.

Which brings me on to the current situation in Nepal. The worst earthquake in 80 years has caused thousands of people in Nepal to lose all the stuff they were taking for granted. I'm grateful that we can help them come through their interesting times.

You can donate through the Disasters Emergency Committee here, and the UK government will match what UK citizens donate up to £5 million. Here's Humza Yousaf MSP on why and how to donate.