Monday, 15 June 2015

mindful

I've heard that mindful meditation is a good thing to do.

I've tried to take 10 minutes to just be quiet and still and accept the moment. I remember my brother used to just sit on the sofa sometimes, not watching TV or looking at a magazine or anything. I thought he was weird.

I lay on the sofa, with a blanket over me and a 10 minute timer set on my 'phone. My kids thought I looked weird. When I did it when they weren't around, it was OK, but I felt my time could be better used. If I'm going to take 10 minutes to myself could I maybe just watch a bit of Scandal?

However the other day, my daughter asked me to brush her hair and I did, very carefully, because it's the first time she's ever volunteered to get her hair brushed, and I didn't want to put her off.

The process was soothing and absorbing, and I felt a rush of oxytocin, like you get when you're breastfeeding. She must have got it too, because, she feel asleep!

I wondered, is this a thing? Is this that weird ASMR thing? Or is this another kind of mindfulness.

Mindfully coloured in.

My friend Nicky, who's studied mindfulness a bit, tells me that you can do things mindfully. Mindful walking, mindful eating etc. It's all good.


I thought I'd try some more.


I tried to mindfully drink a cup of coffee, but the table was wobbly and I was distracted, which was for the best because the coffee was not good.

Mindful veg prep was more satisfying.


My favourite though is mindful colouring in. I could do that all day.

What do you think of this mindfulness thing?