Wednesday, 3 June 2015

The Weather Project: Concerned about June

 "You know, I control the weather with my moods. I just can't control my moods is all." - Nick Cave in 20,000 Days on Earth (2014)
June hasn't started well. 

On the 1st we had a weather warning for wind and rain. It rained in torrents throughout the day, throwing in a bit of sleet for good measure, making me reluctant to rush outside and collect our new patio furniture as it blew across the garden.


Everyone was wearing their waterproofs, many were in their snow jackets. Everyone was greeting each other with cries of 'Welcome to June!'



Apparently it isn't unprecedented. In 1975 snow fell as far south as Birmingham in June. I don't personally recall that though, as far as I'm concerned all '70s summers were like 1976.


Back to Monday though. At around 8pm, the clouds cleared away and thin sunshine shone through, shining on a world which sparkled in the light. An incredibly verdant world. Finally, the weather had inspired me to write a short poem:

Evening sunshine after heavy rain in June by Cara L McKee
He turned up late; cravat askew,with gleaming teeth, champagne for two;and all of this I would eschew.I've waited all the day for you.

The 2nd wasn't much better, although the wind and rain died down it was still cold. A friend joked on Facebook: 'Where's my good June So'wester?' 

The news keeps saying there's a heatwave coming, my weather app (Met Office) reckons tomorrow will be sunny, and then we're back in the rain. We've got sports day on Friday so I'm hoping it will be alright for that. Apparently, we could reach the giddy heights of 13C this week (although it'll feel like 10). Feeling like 10C is double figures.


It's a step in the right direction. Maybe next week we'll get up to 14?


How's the weather with you?