Thursday, 30 July 2015

doing our best

This week on the gratitude challenge I'm talking about a core value of mine.

So here goes. I believe that we are all doing our best. I remind myself of this all the time, because it's easy to forget. But we all do the best we can in the circumstances.


Those circumstances aren't just about the current situation; they're about the stuff we've learnt, the fears we harbour, the history we hold. All this is affected by the different treatment afforded to us because of our gender, our 'race', our sexualities, our class, and all sorts of other markers of our status.

At the end of the day we're all trying to do our best. Even people who seem to be doing bad things are doing what seems best to them in their circumstances. Even Tories.

Sometimes people do things which are said to be out of 'badness', but as a parent I get to witness first hand that when people behave badly it's often because they're hurting, and they don't feel worthy of good stuff.

I hope that people believe that I am doing my best, however it might look like I'm behaving, and I do try to also show that courtesy, although it can be hard.

What would you describe as your core value?