Monday, 17 August 2015

Looking forward to...

This week for the gratitude project I'm writing about something I look forward to, and with an important event just around the corner, I've got to say that the thing I look forward to at this time of year is the kids going back to school.

Tomorrow my youngest child will be starting primary school, and I can't say I'm not trepidatious, or that I won't miss her (or the other two - we've had a great summer holiday together), but I'm also excited.


This time last year!
All the kids are going into new classes. Mr 9 and Miss 7 will be back into seeing their friends every day, and getting more of a routine. Miss 7 is delighted that she doesn't get free school meals any more (you get them for the first three years of primary school in Scotland), so is hoping to take a pack in quite a lot. Miss 5 is going to be starting Primary 1. She's a bit worried, but excitement is building too. I've had to stop calling her the little girl on here because she's a big girl now. I think it's going to be so good for her to get pushed a little more, and to develop her friendships. I think that her separation anxiety over the holidays is a sign that she's really ready to look away from me a little bit. But I am going to show her as many times as it takes that I will always have her back. 

I'm glad we don't still live in England, where she would have started school last year. She was too young then, but I think she's ready now, and I hope it's not going to be too bumpy a start. Miss 5 is a strong willed one, and she will make her feelings known (nothing genetic there then). Starting nursery was 'interesting', but we got there, in the end, and through the difficult beginning she got stronger relationships with the nursery staff, and more confidence in being there. I'm sure we'll have a few wobbles starting P1, but she's going to be fine, and she's so excited about bringing her reading on, I'm actually kind of looking forward to those Biff, Chip and Kipper books.

Have you had the 'pleasure' of meeting Biff, Chip, and Kipper?
Kind of.

As for me, someone said the other day "You won't know who you are!" They are right. It's a massive shift. I am going to be able to focus on me more, and I do intend to get on with writing that book. I am also hoping that I'll have time to finish a thought in my head, and time to tick a few of my 'to-dos' off my burgeoning list.

What are you looking forward to?

Other posts you might like: