Wednesday, 5 August 2015

Weather Project: Songs for a soggy summer


I can't mention Nick Cave this summer without saying that my thoughts are with him and his family as they learn how to live without Arthur. I am so sorry for their loss.

I've been doing a bit of research for the Weather Project this week. I am focusing on Largs, where I live, and also, handily, there is a weather station. I cannot speak for areas such as Suffolk where there may not be cold wetness going on.


What my research led me to was the shocking realisation that this summer is a bit cold and a bit wet.


Temperatures are below average (I say below average, the temperatures haven't even bumped into average at a party for the most part). Rainfall is above average, and it's a bit windy too.


The Met Office do smashing weather summaries for every month since they started doing it on their website (I use these lots for writing). The latest one is for July, you'll find it here.


They described June as "unseasonably windy" and "rather cool." In our part of Scotland the rainfall was above average, while the rest of the UK was having more sun than average (this inspired the first song, below).


July started well but then the weather turned "cool and rather changeable ... generally, with rain or showers for much of the time, and only a few dry and warm days." Our part of Scotland had double the average rainfall*.

August is looking pretty dreich too so far, but let's not dwell. Instead come with me down a rabbit hole of blast-from-the-past songs.

1. Don't Steal Our Sun by The Thrills
2. 10.15 Saturday Night by The Cure (how young are they?!)
3. Every Day is Like Sunday by Morrissey
4. Green and Grey by New Model Army
5. Tupelo by Nick Cave
6. It's Raining Men by The Weathergirls (need to cheer you up a bit)











Miss 7 loves being Scottish, and embraces the Scottish weather. She and a friend started making up a song the other day entitled, 'Glorious Scotland'. It's not finished yet, but here it is so far. I think I need to take a leaf out of her book. I've started. I've finally got a raincoat I'm not embarrassed to be seen in.