Friday, 15 January 2016

five things that inspire me (with apologies for Pip Larkin's language)

Today I'm sharing five things that have inspired me. Quotes, mainly, and also a rather lovely video. There seems to me to be a common theme in them all, but perhaps they speak to you too? What inspires you?



1. "Wherever life goes, there one must follow." - Oscar Wilde (attributed to Norman Lamont on this programme).



2. "Poetry is nobody's business but the poet's, and everybody else can just fuck off." - Philip Larkin

I'm not a fan of Philip Larkin, but I was in Cider with Rosie as a teenager, and played his big sister, so I feel a bit protective. I love this, because I am always by instinct collaborative, and this gives me an excuse not to be. To create something myself, and to like it despite other people's opinions. 

3. "Real talent can survive anything, even encouragement." - Clive James

I love this... although as I'm currently reading a very well written book I don't feel like I have much real talent right now.

4. Alan Watts on doing what you love. I love this video, but appreciate that I am lucky to be in a position where I can focus on doing what I love. I'll just have to get paid a bit more for it, and then things will be peachy (maybe).



5. I recently came across this little nugget of beauty from US writer Shel Silverstein (who also wrote this marvellous poem on beards, and the book The Giving Tree):

Listen to the MUSTN'TS, child,
Listen to the DON'TS      
Listen to the SHOULDN'TS
The IMPOSSIBLES, the WONT'S      
Listen to the NEVER HAVES
Then listen close to me-      
Anything can happen, child,
ANYTHING can be