Thursday, 10 March 2016

technological: anticipating the obsolescence of the smart phone

technological: anticipating obsolescence

What do we mean by 'technology'? I think about 'tech' - apps and gadgets... Perhaps I should google it? (Google's definition is below - thanks Google).

technology
tɛkˈnɒlədʒi/
noun
  1. the application of scientific knowledge for practical purposes, especially in industry.
    "advances in computer technology"
    • machinery and devices developed from scientific knowledge.
      "it will reduce the industry's ability to spend money on new technology"
    • the branch of knowledge dealing with engineering or applied sciences.


If technology is the practical application of science and engineering, then this pen is technology.


The pen was engineered to improve upon the quill. It improved communication, improved historical record keeping, and changed the shape of our letters. This one uses cartridges, so that's even better.

Once upon a time, this pen was a modern marvel. Then it became commonplace, and now it's outdated.

So is all new technology destined to become obsolete? Is everything just a step towards something else?

Our smart phones (which have already got smarter than they were in the first place), were once a marvel and now I for one couldn't go without it. It is my to do list, my camera, my Walkman (literally - that's the music app I use), my radio, my notebook, my shop, my magazine, my means of communication, and so much more. 

But no doubt there will come a time when we reminisce about having no bars, running out of memory, charging wherever you can find a plug, dropping the thing down the toilet and texting on a smashed screen.

I wonder what technology is around the corner? I'm thinking of flexible graphene screens, of finding a way to photosynthesise energy for our devices, to store way more energy than our batteries can. I dream of cyborg technology, I think I could go for that, although not perhaps for the Beta testing, but perhaps that's a step too far for most?

What do you think is around the corner for our miniature computers?

And what's the tech that will be the next thing we can't live without?