Sunday, 27 November 2016

A Q&A blogger tag

Many thanks to Beth at Bamm Boo for tagging me to answer some questions. I love this kind of post. It's great to find out a bit more about the bloggers, and it always raises things that I probably wouldn't think of myself.

So here goes with Beth's questions

How long have you been blogging? Do you think your blog now is different than how you imagined it would be?

I started blogging at the beginning of 2013, at Looks Like We're Moving, which was all about our experience of moving house. When we got settled in I started this blog, then called 'Oh we do love to be...' which was about settling in to our new hometown, fun with the kids, and homemaking... Except homemaking is clearly not my cup of tea. I cannot even be bothered to get the white paint out to cover the bits of wall I damaged when I moved the furniture around recently. So it became a bit of something and nothing, and meandered on for a while, until I decided it should mostly be a place to share my poetry, as well as a bit of other nonsense, and changed the name to Cara L McKee quite recently. I did once previously have a blog where I shared fiction and poems and stuff, called Stories from the Frozen North, it still exists, but I don't write much in the way of short stories at the moment (they might be coming back, I've just written one I love!).

If you could write a letter to yourself the day before your first child was born what would you write?

Oh my goodness! I would write GO HOME! Go home now! They are going to have to manage without you, and they will survive! It's awfy dramatic to have your waters break at work, but perhaps you'll be less stressed and have a better experience if you have a long lunch with your pals and relax. Seriously relax. And when they tell you to go home because you're not ready, go home! What's the worst that can happen? It'll be fine if you have a baby at home (you're going to do that one day and it'll be the best birth ever), and staying in hospital just gives them more chance to mess with you.

Also, you are wrong. Your life is not going to be just the same but with a baby, but there's no point in me going on about it, because you won't believe me.

Me and my first born. Look at those chubby cheeks! We had both been through a tough time.


What’s your favourite Christmas tradition?

I love the Christmas tree (I've only got one, and it's black and utterly fab, I'd love a pine one, but I'm still working on my husband for that). I love wrapping presents. I love the smells of ginger and orange and cinnamon, and all that good stuff.

I love the children's excitement about Christmas morning and all the flapping about that adults do under the surface to get that to work.

I love snuggling up on the sofa and watching a family film under a blanket I've crocheted.

And I love going for the walk on Christmas Day, after the meal.

Also, I really like going into a city when it's busy but not too mad, when the lights are twinkling, a little snow is falling, and we can stop off for a honeycomb latte at Costa. Not going in any of the shops though, that's just hideous!

That's clearly enough!

What’s something that everyone else seems to love that you just don’t get?

So, so much! Sometimes I feel like I'm just pretending to be a human. 

I don't get most popular music, TV shows like X Factor, I don't get why people choose to wear high heels or polyester. I cannot imagine why a grown woman would want to wear a nightie with a cartoon bunny on it.

What’s your worst habit?

There are so many to choose from. But I'm going to go with awkwardness. I wish that I didn't slightly freak out when someone touches me in a friendly way. I wish that I could think of what to say in conversations more. I clearly say the wrong thing quite often, and I don't mean to. Honestly, my world is quite a sensible place when you're in it.

What was your favourite subject in school? Does this have any relation to your life now?

I really liked maths, because I was good at it, but I also loved History and English for making me think. When I went to University I studied Women's Studies, which was just brilliant. If I could keep doing Women's Studies forever I'd be happy. Angry but happy.

What relation does that have to my life now? I'm constantly questioning the roles that my characters play in my writing, and the assumptions that we make in life. My kids teachers have commented that my kids do that too, which means I'm doing something right! I'm currently rewriting my first novel, because it was full of patriarchal structures that reflected what I was reading, not the world it was set in. It's really hard! Because I'm a product of this society too!

What would be your secret super power?
The ability to have people listen to what I say. 

Do you feel like a ‘grown up’? Why?

I feel like a grown up because I take responsiblity for other people. I think every grown up still has the young person they were inside them, although that changes as we change, if our responsiblities are taken away (like when we're on holiday), we can still have lots of fun.

What would you serve at a dinner party (and would you be the chef?)

Can someone else cook? I hate cooking. We are so lucky to have our in-laws nearby and we have a regular weekly meal that they cook. It's lovely to have the catch up and to have other adults so involved in our kids lives, but I think my favourite bit is being cooked for. Honestly, I wouldn't mind terribly what we ate so long as someone else was cooking!

If you could have been born into any period of history when would that be?


I'd hate to know what was about to happen, I love watching things change, and if the change is terrifying, I remind myself what we've survived already. I wouldn't want to go back, things were not better then, and I wouldn't like to go forward and have no deeper understanding of all the stuff I'd missed. Of course, if I could use a time machine I'd love to blip about all over the place, but if I've got to stay, then I'll stick with right here, right now.

Now it's time for me to ask you guys some questions, do let me know if you answer them! I'll link your answers in here. Here are my questions:
  1. Which are your favourite blogs?
  2. What do you like best about blogging?
  3. What annoys you about social media?
  4. What are you hoping to find under the tree this year?
  5. What was the last film you went to see, and what did you think of it?
  6. What did you inherit from your parents?
  7. Where do you work, and what do you have on your desk/around you?
  8. What TV shows are you watching just now? What do you like about them?
  9. What was the last book you read?
  10. Finally, what's your favourite shop? And why do you love it?
I look forward to hearing what you've got to say.

Cheers!