Saturday, 15 July 2017

Web-logging July 2017


My irregular round up of what's going on with me and mine.


Right now I'm:


Sitting on a train into Glasgow (like I was last time I wrote a weblog!). This time I'm off to meet my Dad, and I've bagged myself a table seat. Across the aisle from me is another woman sitting by herself at a table seat. I'm all in black with red hair, she's  colourful and on trend with blonde hair and well shaped eyebrows. Her makeup is way more careful than my slapdash effort, although I'm happy to be wearing my new favourite makeup product - Studio 10 Glow 2 Go Youth Lift Glow-plexion (terrible name, horrible price, great product) and a red eyeshadow. I love red eyeshadow.


Today I don't know anyone on the train, and I spend the whole journey writing.


Currently reading:


I'm coming to the end of How to be a Woman by Cailtlin Moran, which I am mostly enjoying, although I think I must be a different kind of woman.


I've brought my next book on my journey for while I'm waiting in the station, and that's Bitch Doctrine by Laurie Penney because Moran's book has made me get my Women's Studies vibe on again and because feminism remains essential IMHO. I've only read a few pages of it so far, but there was so much to inspire and intrigue in those pages.


Listening to:


Every day on the news there are more people (mainly, but not wholly, men) doing terrible things which I do not have the power to do anything about, so why stress myself with the news? I will trust in those who can take action to do so and I shall keep voting for and talking about a brighter, less-hate-filled future. Meanwhile, I'm very excited about Game of Thrones arriving on Monday and listening to lots of fan chat about that as well as Behind the Scenes stuff.


I've been listening to lots of pop music with the kids being on school holidays. So my brain is full of that nonsense. Our current giggly favourite is Attention by Charlie Puth because of mishearing the line "throwing that dirt all on my name" as "throwing that turtle on my knee". Honestly, check it out!




The most recent tracks that I've downloaded are:

video
Having fun:

We had a gorgeously lovely day over in Millport - a wee ferry ride away and perfect for an old fashioned beach day. We've been having a chilled summer holiday so far, hanging out with friends, and having family to visit.


On Instagram:


I tried taking part in Allison Sadler's #freeupmyinsta challenge, although I've not managed every day. However, it's been so nice to get back to using Instagram for fun. It was starting to feel like a chore. I'm thinking of just dropping the prompts and doing what I feel... maybe!




and here are three accounts I'm loving at the moment:

  • @mrsconstancehall Constance Hall is a contentious Australian blogger and a Queen (she says so so it must be true), and I think I'm a little bit in love with her. I am definitely in love with her style, her grace, and her attitude 👑
  • @georginagrogan Georgina Grogan runs the fantastic She Might Be online magazine. She's lovely, collaborative, and she has absolutely superb hair. Plus the lass can write.
  • @terribletumbles Em is my favourite fashion blogger because she's tall as well as plus size and she makes everything look amazing, plus she's from Yorkshire so she's just brilliant.
Perving over:


I Love Dick on Amazon. Oh my word! This story raises so many questions and really makes you think, plus it is so very very very sexy. I must admit I've never fancied Kevin Bacon (still don't) but I was certainly caught up in the story arc. Also, Roberta Colindrez was absolutely gorgeous Devon, and that dance at the end! Fabulous.


Planning:


I have a list of days out which the children refuse to go on, but we're managing so far, and we're getting things in place Miss 6's birthday party next week. After that I'll panic about our holiday in the Lakes.


Discovering:


This month seems to be about rediscovery. Rediscovering:

  • the joy of doing very little
  • Pimms
  • the motivation to do 10,000 steps a day for the prize of a tick in the Google Fit app

We have also been looking after a friend's pets and have discovered a love of guinea pigs. 



A post shared by Cara McKee (@caralmckee) on

Watching:

  • I Love Dick (see above, and trailer below)
  • Can't wait for Game of Thrones
  • Watched Girl on a Train last night which was actually surprisingly good and interesting, but Jeezo I'd love a film with less 'beautiful' people in it.


Creating:

I've had a few poems published lately (see an up to date list here), and I'm sticking with the poemy stuff, I might not be following the FMS Photo a Day prompts for photos, but they're still in my calendar so I'm trying to write a tanka a day using the prompt. Today's prompt is 'out the window' and it's making me think of Girl on a Train, so here's my tanka for today:


She watches for them

out of the speeding window,
searches for a kiss,
a kiss she can remember,
one to take her breath away.

Ⓒ Cara L McKee 14/7/17


Why am I equating a kiss with a hit in my head? And will anyone else get that? Do you get that?

I've also been debating with myself about some poems I've written using the idea that God is a fictional and oppressive character. I am worried about causing offence but feel like perhaps I shouldn't censor myself so much. I guess it's because the God I believe in is a fictional character, and not worse for it. Again, what do you think?


Parenting:

Sometimes my kids are awesome. We bumped into my MIL and her friends the other day, and the kids were friendly and polite, impressing everyone (apart from me - I didn't even notice! 

Mostly though I am letting them stay up too late and have too much screen time (because seriously Scotland, you're a lovely place to live, but you could have WAY less rain), anyway, I like staying up late and going on screens - I'm on screens now! But too much screens and too little time equals lots of strops. Sigh.


My lovely husband is away for work a lot at the moment, which makes me realise how much I appreciate his input while he's here, even his annoyingly neat tendencies!




A post shared by Cara McKee (@caralmckee) on

Anyhow, how's it going with you?